Sunday, December 7, 2008

Modern day mortification.

I have been wondering out loud lately, and to myself if it isn't time to bring back a little self mortification. What can a person really do to make the world a better place ? I am a convert so often I am either way off base with a basic idea about Catholicism, or I barely grasp the idea at all.
I don't have the "brain power" to read "encyclicals" or "bulls". Heck I don't even understand half of what you smarty pants bloggers write about . I usually keep two screens open so that I can read ,and google your words in a back ,and forth fashion.
So.. if I am missing the mark on this very old idea of mortification , please set me straight . I am not talking about severe mortification. After all I am a modern Catholic, and I don't like to be uncomfortable , um.... at all. I'm keeping say - all of my toes for now.
Now if no one yells at me or finds my postings of mortification's offencive then I will begin, even though I don't fully grasp the whole idea yet..

On line dictionary......

mortification - (Christianity) the act of mortifying the lusts of the flesh by self-denial and privation (especially by bodily pain or discomfort inflicted on yourself)
self-control, self-denial, self-discipline - the act of denying yourself; controlling your impulses
Christian religion, Christianity - a monotheistic system of beliefs and practices based on the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus as embodied in the New Testament and emphasizing the role of Jesus as savior

No comments: