Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ash Hollow and Windlass Hill located in western Nebraska

(This post should have gone before the Guernsey Wyoming post. )



Here is where the Oregon trail pioneers could find plenty of firewood, shade and water.
At windlass hill the prairie schooners had ropes tied to them and the wheels were locked ,
then the treacherous decent began.
It was said that the decent was so terrifying that it seemed as though the wagons would hang
" a little past the perpendicular."
It was here where they could only hope for the best.
Once down this steep hill it was clear sailing for a while.

2 comments:

Melody K said...

On the 4th of July weekend, my husband, my sister, and I were at the Ash Hollow visitor center. Unfortunately I have been having problems with a heel spur and was unable to hike down to see the spring, or the trail remnants.
You took some neat pictures!

belinda said...

Thank you .... One photo is from the Internet. The hike was steep and I was huffing and puffing. The children would complain until they reached the top. :)
We heard the spring but didn't see it.

I find it unbelievable that the prairie wagons would just hang from this cliff and dangle. I heard that when they attempted this they couldn't speak.