My Christmas suggestions for a non eventful day.
(This is a note to myself.)
1) Martha Stewart doesn't live here and our home and it's contents will not be perfect, however if I had 700 employees I could make everything appear to be perfect as well , there by which everyone else could feel bad about themselves. (But in turn, would make me feel bad.)
2) Don't produce a lot of sweets, they make you feel weepy and cranky and when you don't feel very well everyone else suffers though quietly, and besides those foods aren't good for the children either.
( And now that you've produced a bunch of unhealthy foods, your gonna have to stay out of them.... wasn't that smart?!)
3) If Christmas makes you unhappy, (which is does) then change the way it's done. Who decided that we have to have a tree or which if any of these Christmas things are necessary. I've decided, I'm having a Mexican fiesta and if you don't like Mexican food , your gonna be hungry when you visit us for Christmas.
4) If you have to buy gifts for - let's say for about 12 cousins, remember that these same gifts will burden their parents because PARENTS are the ones who will have to pick up the toys and even though we say we make our children do it. Instead of gifts consider giving each child a special piece of candy or an impressive cookie and a note that reads. "Merry Christmas, I bought you a goat and I sent it to a family in Guatemala. I love you, Aunt.... (Insert name here)
This is a win- win for everyone because some parent in Guatemala will now have something to milk and even though they've told their child to milk it repetitively, it wont be so much of a burden but a true gift. Your cousin will be happy with the cookie, and the kid's parents will never have anything to pick up again except for the cookie wrapper and perhaps there's even a tax deduction in it for you as well.
5) No matter how hard you try, some relatives do not now, nor ever have loved you. It's okay, you can love someone and not be loved in return. It's really okay. Accept the way things are and move on and don't ask why - it is what it is. Jesus loves you and that's enough. Trying to make someone love you who doesn't is futile.
6) Don't forget to continue saying your prayers and attending Mass, and confession. When you get busy God usually gets put on the back burner and you give him the minimum- just to get by, but this is the worst time of the year to do this because you need the graces more than ever.
7) Pick a soul and make a conscious effort to offer up any and all sufferings from having to be in the presence of people who say hurtful and or stupid things. Let this stuff go as well.
8) Though we've been commanded to love one another as we love ourselves. You really do have an obligation to at least try to be lovable yourself. Don't make is so hard for others to love you in return.
9) Don't push peoples buttons. This isn't a time to argue about other peoples life choices and besides people don't change unless they want to. Prayer is more effective than arguing and even if your right.
10) Remember to tell each of our children how much they mean to us and that we love them... A note would be nice.......I better get started.